There’s something instantly relaxing about sitting in a deck chair. For starters, the reclined angle doesn’t really allow for anything more strenuous than reading a book or sleepily staring out to sea – there’s no such thing as impeccable posture at this angle.
Plus, once you’ve sunk deep into the welcoming curve of the sling itself, it’s such an effort to get back out that you may as well just lounge a bit longer.
Originally used on a ship’s deck – hence the name – the deck chair is now a firm feature of beaches, parks and gardens as soon as the sun makes an appearance.
Comfier than a hard garden chair, compact, and easy to store in the shed, a deck chair is an absolute must if you’re planning an outdoor soirée this summer.
How we tested
We parked ourselves in a plethora of deck chairs in a bid to find the comfiest options, including fabric and wooden deck chairs. Alongside comfort, we looked at price, durability, and style, and cherry-picked the best deck chairs of the bunch.
The best deck chairs for 2022 are:
- Best overall – Habitat wooden deck chair, geo orange: £58, Habitat.co.uk
- Best for chic styling – Podevache ride or dye deck chair: £114, Amara.com
- Best for mid-summer comfort – Ikea brommö lounger: £55, Ikea.com
- Best for al fresco snoozing – Garden Trading striped rocking deck chair, cornflower blue: £90, Gardentrading.co.uk
- Best for children – AMPM vivéca acacia child’s deck chair: £65, Laredoute.co.uk
- Best value – Mano Mano bilbao slatted wood deck chair set of 2: £119, Alicesgarden.co.uk