Fridge freezers are remarkably varied, considering the fact they all have the same job to do.
When buying one of these appliances, your first task is to decide whether you want a freestanding model or an integrated option that you can build into a kitchen unit.
Another key point of difference is the ratio of fridge space to freezer space in the appliance. You should consider how much food your household freezes, then pick an option to suit. And more broadly, be sure to buy a fridge freezer with sufficient capacity overall.
Beyond type and storage space, the differences between fridge freezers become less make-or-break. Some have retro styling; others are more contemporary. And some fridge freezers nowadays have special features that appeal to certain users, such as smartphone connectivity and frost-free tech.
As you read our reviews, you may notice that the fridge freezers seem to have relatively poor energy efficiency ratings. This is due to a shakeup of the energy efficiency rating system for appliances, which took effect in March 2021. The scale no longer includes the high-end ratings of A+++, A++ or A+, and a low-end rating of G has been added. So, the new scale goes from A to G, with the most energy-efficient appliances rated A.
The new rating system imposes higher efficiency standards, meaning some appliances which once had impressive-sounding energy ratings now have a more modest grade. For instance, the Siemens fridge freezer featured in this article has been regraded from A+ to E. Do bear in mind that as a whole, the fridge freezer market hasn’t quite caught up to the new energy-efficiency benchmarks at this point in time.
How we tested
We included a wide range of fridge freezers in this round-up to suit all needs – from the simple, budget-friendly and compact to the all-bells-whistling, wallet-busting makes. We then evaluated their ease of use, design, size, extra features, results, noise level, energy efficiency and cost.
The best fridge freezers for 2022 are:
- Best overall – LG Centum GBB92MCBAP 70/30 fridge freezer: £1,799, Currys.co.uk
- Best high-tech fridge freezer – LG InstaView GMX844MCKV slim American-style smart fridge freezer: £2,099, Amazon.co.uk
- Best value fridge freezer – Beko harvestfresh CFP3691DVW: £499, Currys.co.uk
- Best integrated fridge freezer – Bosch serie 6 KIS86AFE0G integrated 60/40 fridge freezer: £859, Ao.com
- Best 50/50 fridge freezer – Neff N50 KI5852SF0G integrated 50/50 fridge freezer: £719, Travisperkins.co.uk
- Best for retro design – Smeg right hand hinge FAB30RRD5UK 70/30 fridge freezer: £1,699, Markselectrical.co.uk
- Best fridge freezer under £300 – Cookology UCFF87 under counter fridge freezer: £164.99, Amazon.co.uk
- Best for small households – Swan retro SR11010CN 80/20 fridge freezer: £529, Ao.com