Are you waving goodbye to the bleary-eyed baby days and lusting after a more restful routine? Well, in order to bank some more ZZZs for everyone involved, you’ll want to give your child’s mattress some thought.
“Your child does most of their growing whilst asleep so it is important that the mattress is of sufficient quality to support them properly,” recommends Simon Williams, spokesperson for the National Bed Federation.
But what kind of filling works best for a child’s mattress? “Most types of sprung or foam mattresses are suitable for children,” advises Williams. “Although foam ones with removable, washable covers are a good practical choice. If parents are concerned about chemicals used in foam production, then opt for a sprung mattress with layers of natural fillings such as wool and cotton.” Companies are also moving away from traditional memory foam and using environmentally friendly alternatives.
When it comes to costs, ensure you weigh up your options. “As with most things in life, you get what you pay for,” he adds. “Buy the best quality you can comfortably afford whilst remembering that your child grows very quickly and their body shape and weight will change.”
In terms of safety, if you’re buying for a cabin or bunk bed, the top of the mattress needs to be at least 16cm below the top of the side/end rails to prevent rolling out of bed. Equally, as with all mattresses check it displays the BS 7177 label for flammability standards.
How we tested
We are bringing ten of the best to your attention. When testing (alongside top five-year-old and 12-year-old snoozers) first and foremost we were looking for comfort, which meant we took a close look at breathability, durability and quality of materials.
We were looking for standout features such as zoned pressure point areas and washable covers too. While mattresses should be seen as an investment we also considered those that were best value for money.
The best kids mattresses for children for 2022 are:
- Best for a kids mattress – Stompa S flex airflow pocket kids mattress: £229, Stompa.com
- Best for safety – The Simba hybrid kids mattress: £299.40, Simbasleep.com
- Best for bunkbeds – Stompa S flex airflow kids mattress: £179, Johnlewis.com
- Best for depth – Emma original: £249.50, Emma-mattress.co.uk
- Best for cot transition – Little Green Sheep natural junior mattress single: £294.95, Thelittlegreensheep.co.uk
- Best for older kids – Natural mat the teen spring mattress: £700, Naturalmat.co.uk
- Best for sustainability – Jay-be corekids IR energy E2 memory kids mattress: £234.99, Amazon.co.uk
- Best for a waterproof kids mattress – SnuzSurface max junior kids mattress: £249.95, Amazon.co.uk
- Best for keeping its shape – Little Folks Furniture open coil single bed kids mattress: £250, Littlefolksfurniture.co.uk
- Best for posture – Silentnight imagine mirapocket 600 kids mattress: £279, Silentnight.co.uk